- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken apple sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 cups chopped red onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 3/4 inch cubes(about 6 cups)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 14.5 ounce can pinto beans, drained
In a large Dutch oven heat oil over medium heat, cook sausage until browned, about 5 minutes, remove to a plate with a slotted spoon.
In same pan sauté onions and garlic until almost tender.
Add squash and cook for 5 minutes, stir in spices and cook one minute.
Return sausage to the pan and add broth, bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer and simmer for about 10 minutes covered.
Add apples and beans and simmer an additional 10 minutes or until apples are tender bit not mushy.
Adjust seasonings as necessary.