- 2 pounds cucumbers, partially peeled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Place cucumbers in a sealable bag, using a meat mallet or anything that will allow you smash the cucumbers and smash only until they skins are broken and flattened, do not over mash.
Remove from bag and cut off the ends of the cucumber, cut into 1 inch pieces.
Place in a colander over a bowl and sprinkle with salt and sugar, allow to stand for 30 minutes to allow some of the liquid it escape.
Make the dressing by combining remaining ingredients, toss in the cucumbers to coat.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.